Subject: Re: Rockbox 3.3 new blind user with a few questions please

Re: Rockbox 3.3 new blind user with a few questions please

From: Tomer Shalev <shalev.tomer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:29:03 +0200

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Pat Fletcher <patfletcher_at_cayjazz.net>wrote:

> I have NeoSpeech Kate and would like to use it for the system voice instead
> of the one on the 3.3 rockbox version. Is this possible?

It's probably a SAPI voice engine. Please read the manual for your player,
and learn how to configure the Rockbox Utility for this SAPI voice engine.

> What can I remove ( files or options) from rockbox to give me more room on
> the player? Example games are not usable for me right now. ( also themes,
> photos EC all the stuff a blind person can not use.

All these feature that are unusable for you take a tiny amount of storage
space, in comparison with your player's internal storage. You won't get
anything from removing them.

When I plug the player into my computer or on a AC charger there is no
> voice. Is this normal?

Yes. There player is unusable while connected, besides USB Keypad Mode
(refer to manual).

> Is there a way to have the player speak when being charged?

No. There are no menus shown while the player is connected. If it is
connected in charging mode (refer to the manual) you should use it normally.

> Is the Rockbox utility usable by screen readers yet?

I think that the answer is no. You can refer to the (very long) mailing list
thread:
http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-dev-archive-2009-05/0039.shtml

HTH,
Tomer