Subject: RE: Accessible Mpeg player on iPod Video 30GB?

RE: Accessible Mpeg player on iPod Video 30GB?

From: Hussein Patwa <rockbox_at_patwanet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:54:34 -0000

WinFF, which is what I generally recommend for converting videos to a
format usable for Rockbox should also be able to convert videos to audio
files. It should be able to take nearly any input format, and at the
very least output MP3.

If you're looking for something console based ffmpeg (which WinFF is
simply a front end for) or mencoder are quite compatible with many video
formats and should have no problem outputting file formats Rockbox can play.

Unfortunately, other than the Google Summer of Code work for translating
plugins, there hasn't been too much in the way of progress in making
them accessible. The only current solution, really, is memorizing item
positions in the lists, and I'm sure that's far from ideal.

----------------
Hi Paul,

Thanks as always for the info. Noted and will try it.

Now to throw a probably ridiculous idea into the ring. And yes, it probably
deserves a new thread altogether.

Your mention of GSOC got me thinking. Would it be possible to make the
plugin accessible, I mean technically, or is it a practical impossibility
given limitations of Rockbox's architecture? Couild it be an idea to have
this as a possible GSOC project this year? Bear in mind I know little about
GSOC so forgive me if this is all just tripe.

Whereas I'm no front runner (or even back runner for that matter) in the
programming department, I could work in areas related to this (to be
defined) but someone skilled would have to do the actual programming, etc.
Does this idea hold any merit, and if so, how would I go about putting it
out for wider consideration?

Thanks.

database 4821 (20100130) __________

  Email message - is OK