Subject: Re: Accessible Mpeg player on iPod Video 30GB?

Re: Accessible Mpeg player on iPod Video 30GB?

From: Manfred Schmitt <>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:11:00 +0100

Quoting repaired.

Hussein Patwa wrote:
> Paul Louden wrote:
> > You'd get better battery life (and accessibility, which mpegplayer
> > doesn't have) if you simply stripped the audio out of the file and
> > listened to that on its own.
> Thanks for that. I had considered it. Do you know of a good program to do
> this? It should work with different input formats.
mplayer -dumpaudio input.file
As the parameter says it just dumps the audio without reencoding and so
it works really fast and without any quality loss. The audio will be put
into a file called stream.dump in the same directory but if you like you
could also define a name with -dumpfile.
Though there is one caveat:
------ cut start man mplayer ------
dumpaudio (MPlayer only)
Dumps raw compressed audio stream to ./stream.dump (useful with MPEG/AC-3,
in most other cases the resulting file will not be playable).

But in your case with MPEG-Video that should be the fastest way to save the
audio into a new file. As mplayer uses ffmpeg internally (also for dumpfile,
dunno?) you could also use ffmpeg directly but ffmpegs parameters are imo
really complicated, nearly every time I want to use it I have to read the
manpage ;)