Subject: Re: Advice please.

Re: Advice please.

From: Daryl Marie <crazymusician_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:03:56 -0700

> Hi Everyone.
> Now I really am looking for people's advice regarding MP3 players.
> I realise that each person will have their own individual
> view but I'd be
> interested to hear what they are.
>
> The situation is that my Ipod Video 80GB Classic is coming to
> the end of
> it's life.
> I like the new Apple Ipod Classic which is 160GB however,
> neither Apple's
> speech nor Rockbox supports it so it's basically
> inaccessible and
> therefore useless for me as a totally blind person.
>
> Now As I have a lot of music and other Audio stuff I need
> an MP3 player
> with at least 32GB memory.
>
> I could purchase the new Ipod Touch and use it with
> Apple Speech?
> Or I suppose I could purchase an Ipod with a smaller
> memory such as the
> Nano and put Rockbox on it.
>
> The disadvantage for me is that I'm not a great fan of ITunes
> and I've been
> told that if I purchase either the Touch or Nano,
> then I have to use
> ITunes to transfer music.
>
> I do feel that my options are becoming slightly limited
> now particularly
> if I want an Ipod or MP3 player with at least 32GB memory
> and new rather
> than Second hand.
>
> So, What are people doing?
> Are people still purchassing older devices and using them with
> Rockbox or
> are people now using new Apple ipods such as the
> Touch or the Phone with
> Apple's own speech.
>
> Thanks.
> Maurice Press.

Hi, Maurice,
I got a barely used (and I do mean BARELY used Toshiba Gigabeat, 40 GB, from eBay about a year ago, and I LOVE it. It works great with Rockbox and holds everything that I need. Just out of personal preference, I try and stay away from all things Apple as much as possible.

I know this probably doesn't help much, but I hope you find what you are looking for.
D-M