Subject: Re: Archos Recorder 20 GB disk error

Re: Archos Recorder 20 GB disk error

From: Dave Thayer <>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:01:38 -0700

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:51:11AM -0500, wrote:
> Hello, I hope that someone will have an answer to my problem. I have an
> Archos Recorder 20 GB that just says disk error on the screen. I have taken
> the disk out of the Archos and connected it to my computer thru a 2.5 USB
> adaptor. The disk seems to work fine. I have also reformatted it using Norton
> PartitionMagic 8.0 as FAT32. This did not help. I have tried using new
> batteries with same results.
> Thank You

When my Recorder gave up the ghost it was due to a bad connection
between the HD connector and its circuit board. For a while I was
able to get it to run by pressing just right on the end of the

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to resolder the connections
because they were between the PCB and the connector. I ended up
getting a new DAP.

Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to | you, which is why I don't like to read