Subject: Re: Battery issue on iaudio X5

Re: Battery issue on iaudio X5

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 16:04:10 +0200

On Monday 17 May 2010 at 15:30, Jammit Timmaj wrote:

> > From: newbeewan_at_nativobject.com
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some time an issue on battery charge level when using iaudio X5
> > in low temperatures (less than 10°C).
> >
> > When its happen, rockbox boot correctly but it detect battery as if it
> > is empty, so it shutdown !
> >
> > If I warm it, rockbox rock as usual !
> >
> > Is there something to do to solve that issue ?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Mourad

> 10°C? That's pretty low for lithium ion batteries. They work better at
> warmer temperatures. I don't think there's anything wrong with the
> batteries, Iaudio player, or the operating system. I think you're running
> into a physics problem with the battery chemistry. Info:
> http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-14.htm

I wonder:

a) how does the original firmware behave at this temperature?

b) what's Cowon's recommended operating temperature range for the device (I
tried to look it up, but Cowon appears to remove all information about
discontinued products from its website, however it should be in the owner's
manual)

c) how old is the battery - are you experiencing a combination of difficulty
working at such a low temperature, plus aging efficiency in general?

Antony.

--
<flopsie> yes, but this is #lbw, we don't do normal
                                                     Please reply to the list;