Subject: Re: Problems installing Rockbox on a Sansa E280

Re: Problems installing Rockbox on a Sansa E280

From: Donald Perley <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:27:31 -0400

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Barry Toner <> wrote:

> Finally i attempted to install RB manually.  I found the downloads page,
> grabbed the Fonts package, Voice package and RB package.  If I try a
> straight copy/paste I'm blocked and told the device can only take media file
> types, JPEG, MP3 etc.
> I then tried extracting directly to the device using Winrar.  Thing is I
> can't see the drive letter for the player.  I can of course see the drive
> letter for all my other drives, but connecting the Sansa just shows it as a
> portable device.  Looking in the address bar just gives me Computer/Sansa.

This tells me that your player is in MTP mode (media transfer).
You want to put it in MSC mode (mass storage) so it looks like a
normal USB drive. It will actually look like 2 drives, one for the
player and one for the player's card slot. The lower letter drive
will be the main player where you want to install Rockbox.

-Don Perley