Subject: RE: Problems installing Rockbox on a Sansa E280

RE: Problems installing Rockbox on a Sansa E280

From: Barry Toner <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:14:00 +0100

From: [] On
Behalf Of Donald Perley
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:28 PM

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Barry Toner <>

> Finally i attempted to install RB manually.  I found the downloads page,
> grabbed the Fonts package, Voice package and RB package.  If I try a
> straight copy/paste I'm blocked and told the device can only take media
> types, JPEG, MP3 etc.
> I then tried extracting directly to the device using Winrar.  Thing is I
> can't see the drive letter for the player.  I can of course see the drive
> letter for all my other drives, but connecting the Sansa just shows it as
> portable device.  Looking in the address bar just gives me Computer/Sansa.

"This tells me that your player is in MTP mode (media transfer).
You want to put it in MSC mode (mass storage) so it looks like a
normal USB drive. It will actually look like 2 drives, one for the
player and one for the player's card slot. The lower letter drive
will be the main player where you want to install Rockbox.

-Don Perley"

Hi Don,

Many thanks for your very prompt and informative reply.

Do you know how I can have the player come-up in Mass Storage when i plug it
in? Would it be an option on the screen of the player. Like with my Nokia
N86 when I connect it via USB I'm asked on the phones UI if I want MS, PC
Suite, etc. The nice thing there is I've speech on my phone...

or I see a little slider on the top of the player that looks like a it might
be a keypad lock. Maybe moving this from either side is MT/MS modes?