Subject: Re: Player for the blind

Re: Player for the blind

From: Brandon Hicks <hicks.brandon2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:02:26 -0600

On 8/21/2010 7:53 AM, TG wrote:
... Plus if we could make use of TTS on players taht have that capability.
This is impossible. The TTS is part of the firmware of the players.
Rockbox cannot integrate it because it's illegal, and overwriting the
firmware on a player will erase the engine.

3) I was also thinking maybe there is a way to legally use the
authorization obrtained for a commercial NLS player (Bookscence,Victor
Stream). ...
Again, it's a question of legality. RockBox can't decrypt the data.
Overwriting the firmware again replaces everything. It wipes the device,
replacing it with a totally different set of files, thus why no rockbox
players can keep Audible authorizations etc. It's not legal, it won't
work even if it was.

As for why I was asking for this. I bought a Bookscence about a year
ago. Version 1.0 of there formware was all but unusable. Players
constantly freezing
on all differtnt file types. GUI was pretty good but had some flaws
which they did eventually address. Many players freezing and needed to
be sent back...
I bought a BookSense at last year's ACB convention, and I have had maybe
two freezes since then. I've been through every version of the firmware
and aside from the prompts being worded strangely I have had no
problems. I have also not heard of many users with the problems you listed.

Version 2.0 came out a few months ago and atleast now the device
functions. It stll needs hard resets daily if you want to use Bluetooth.
Again, I've not had this problem. Bluetooth works without issues.

The audio quality is not very good for music and they do not seem to
have any interest in working on this. ...
The reason that music sounds slightly bad is because the speech engine
opens at 16 KHZ. Thus they have to keep the audio chip open at a
multiple of that to keep speech sounding good. If you have music or
audiobooks encoded at 48KHZ they will sound just fine, since that is the
rate at which the audio chip is kept open to prevent speech from aliasing.

I appologize for this getting off topic.

Brandon