Subject: Player features for the blind

Player features for the blind

From: TG <twshop1_at_rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:36:56 -0400

Sean,
   I am wondering if it is possible to obtain the official
specification for NLS encoding. My guess is we can. It was
developed for the Federal Government and should be available to the
public. If Rockbox was able to technically implement the NLS
encoding the only issue would be obtaining valid keys from NLS. I do
not think that is necessarily undoable. After all the US wants to
make NLS available to the blind and if we can use it on commercial
players that would certainly level the playing field. Perhaps it is
something the NFB (National Federation of the Blind) mitht help. The
issue would be the clearinghouse of keys. After all if the US
Goverment can let a foreign owned company have the encoding schem
then why not the US public. This would not remove the requirement to
obtain keys from NLS. I certainly would help withcommunications and
discussions with NLS. Any thoughts on possible working on this?

Tom