Subject: Crossfeed parameter settings

Crossfeed parameter settings

From: Bertrik Sikken <bertrik_at_sikken.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:26:45 +0200

Hi all,

I was looking at the crossfeed dsp code and noticed that crossfeed
adds a little delay to the crossfed signal. This delay models the
time-of-flight difference for audio between one ear and the other.

However I found this delay is only 13 samples long, equivalent to
10 cm inter-ear difference (assuming F = 44100 Hz, v = 340 m/s).
Looking at wikipedia
(for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization)
I see a inter-ear distance of about 21.5 cm, about twice as large.

When audio isn't modelled as simply coming from the extreme left or
right but from a set of speakers at a certain angle horizontally,
this is still only equivalent to 60 degrees between speakers.

How was the currently used crossfeed delay chosen?
Do you think it would make sense to make this delay configurable?

I made a simple proof-of-concept to make this delay configurable.
Please let me know if you want to try it.

Kind regards,
Bertrik