Subject: Re: TTS and Daisy

Re: TTS and Daisy

From: Arno Schuh <katzematratze_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:05:57 +0200

Johan Vromans <jvromans_at_squirrel.nl> wrote:
> FWIW, it's trivial to put the Daisy *.mp3 files on a RockBox player[1]
> and play them as normal audio files. You lack the facility to navigate
> on the section/chapter/paragraph/sentence level but my experience is
> that that is not often used.

I agree if you refer to i. e. a roman, a novel or similar books. But I
read a lot of newspapers, periodicals, sience books, encyclopedias etc.
And it is really hard or impossible to use such material on a usual CD
or MP3 player. There for it is very useful to have the oppotunity to
jump to a page, to a chapter, to a special site etc.
Most of the usual books you can loan from the German libraries for the
blind don't have the page marks, but quiet any available newspaper in
DAISY have it.
And I don't know somebody who reads i. e. "Der Spiegel" from page one to
the end.

Yours sincerely

Arno