Subject: Help with custom Voice file (not working properly)

Help with custom Voice file (not working properly)

From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:21:16 -0500

Hello, being new to rockbox, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate list
to post this on, if it isn't, someone please let me know and I'll try the
dev list instead ; I've also posted a copy of this on the forums .

 I'm trying to create my own voice file for iPod Nano 1g. Using rb3.7. I've
tried the rockbox utility (latest ver on windows7 x86), but when it's
encoding the files I get an error that it can't encode a certain file (it
varies each time), and it won't go any further. So I'm doing it my way. I
can successfully create the voice file, however when I install it on my
iPod, everything except the main menu and some of the settings menu items
speak incorrectly. The voice speaks, however it's not the same thing that is
being displayed on screen. When I go to system for example (which it
speaks correctly), the options are on screen, but the voice speaks strings
which belong to what I believe would be the recording settings for those
items, like "Set as Recording Directory", "digital", "clipping light" etc.

Here's what I've done so far:

created my own VBScript that handles everything: the reading/recording of
the voice strings with personal tts, making the wave files, encoding with
speex, then finally compiling it all into a voice file using the
VoiceFont.exe application, which I downloaded from the svn and compiled
myself, to ensure latest version.
I used the genlang script (which I obtained from the rockbox lang file
wiki) with the -o switch to generate a list of voice and id strings to feed
my script for creation. It's worth noting that I took the info found on my
rockbox-info.txt file for the target id (14), and for the target I put
ipodnano1g: and the list of features found in that same file. I even made a
voice file containing all 808 strings, still no go.
I'm using the latest english.lang from the source, I also compiled it into
an lng using the genlang script, replaced my iPod's version with this new 1,
but still nothing, most items are still spoken incorrectly.

I'm not sure where the problem is, there are so many variables to alter, and
not much documentation or up-to-date information is available. For example,
is this VoiceFont utility still usable? What is the best way to extract and
generate the voice clips from the lang file, I mean how do i know what
strings I'll need for my player or not, should I encode them all or what. Do
I have the right target id and such?
I guess I'm just looking to see where my problem is so i can try and begin
to solve it.

I've spent countless hours looking over the net and on the rb site for info
on the lang file format, the voices and all that, and I managed to get where
I'm at, but now I'm sort of stuck. Anybody have any ideas, comments or
suggestions? Any info is greatly appreciated!

P.S. The original english.voice file for 3.7 works perfectly, but I'd rather
use another tts.

THX, D!J!X!