Subject: Re: bricked an old archos jukebox studio 20

Re: bricked an old archos jukebox studio 20

From: <simon.eigeldinger_at_vol.at>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 07:36:31 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 00:30:25 +0000
  Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> unfortunately i formated the drive and that made the player grind
>>when
>> its powered on. it can't connect to USB currently.
>>
>> Can i unbrick it somehow?

> Grinding? As in sounds like sandpaper or two bricks being scraped
>together? If that's the case then the hard drive that's inside has
>gone bad. It is possible that an incorrect or bad firmware might make
>weird noises, like spin up and spin down when it tries to run but
>instead the software crashes and causes a reset, starting the whole
>process over again.

What i unfortunately forgot to tell is that windows showed up with an
error dialog that it wasn't able to format the drive.
I guess the firmware was accessing the drive somehow and windows had
to stop formating the drive or something.

Now the firmware on the chip is now trying to get something from the
drive and the heads are searching for data like crazy.

Maybe taking out the drive and reformating at an adapter and putting
it back into the player?

I guess i will just try and see what it does.
I can't break it more currently. *lol*.

Greetings,
Simon