Subject: RE: bricked an old archos jukebox studio 20

RE: bricked an old archos jukebox studio 20

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:50:27 +0000

> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:34:02 +0100
> From: simon.eigeldinger_at_vol.at
> To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
> Subject: Re: bricked an old archos jukebox studio 20
>
> Hi,
>
> Am 01.12.2010 09:47, schrieb Linus Nielsen Feltzing:
> > On 2010-11-30 21:43, Simon Eigeldinger wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I found my 6 year old studio 20 and wanted to use it as a non portable
> >> player.
> >>
> >> unfortunately i formated the drive and that made the player grind when
> >> its powered on. it can't connect to USB currently.
> >>
> >> Can i unbrick it somehow?
> >
> > You should check the batteries as well. After 6 years, they might be in
> > a bad shape.
>
> I wanted to make it stationary anyway. wanted to use it as an talking
> player along with some speakers.
>
> can i just connect it to the charger and use it along with that without
> batteries completely?
>
> Thanks all for your help. will figure how the drive is doing when i have
> small screwdrivers :-).
>
> Greetings,
> Simon

Checking the drive with an adapter is a good idea. Hooking it up to a desktop machine will allow you test it as if it were a second drive. The desktop machine will probably have the ability to run more powerful drive testing software than is possible with the MP3 player. You can also do a long format of the drive instead of a quick format. A long format takes a, well, long time but thoroughly checks every part of the drive. If the drive passes the desktop test and you put the drive back in the MP3 player, the player should re-format the drive normally. You could also use an IDE to USB adapter with the players drive if you don't feel like opening up your desktop computer, although I prefer to hook the drive under test to the desktops internal IDE.

As Linus said, check the internal batteries. A USB port can only supply up to 500ma of current, and every device you hook up to a USB port knows this. The player might need more than 500ma of current when playing, so it draws the power it needs from the batteries instead of the USB port. If the batteries are weak or bad then all the current needs to be drawn from the USB port. Either the computer or the player will see that more than 500ma being drawn and will try and shut down the power on the USB. This will cause the player to reset and start all over. You might have to replace the batteries, or build a regulated power supply that replaces the batteries. If you build a power supply, you'll need to remove the batteries and solder the new power supply in place of the batteries, although Wikipedia states it takes regular "aa" sized NiCd batteries, which will probably be cheaper than a custom built power supply. I have also found that most Nimh batteries can be used instead of NiCd. The charging circuit for either battery chemistry is the same when being trickle charged, and I'm pretty certain the little MP3 player couldn't quick or fast charge any battery with only the current that's provided from a USB port. Rechargeable lithium batteries won't work.

If you find out the drive is bad, you can buy replacement drives (even bigger drives) rather easily. If you want to get a little crazy, you can buy an adapter that allows you to plug a compact flash card into the mini IDE plug the player uses. Compact flash has no moving parts and will draw less power, although the "seek" times and data throughput might be slower than a standard hard drive. The slower speed isn't a problem with playing music because even though it's slower, it's still fast enough for music data, although using it as a "thumb" drive might be a little annoying.
The adapter is called a compact flash to laptop or 44 pin IDE adapter. Try to get the smallest adapter possible. There's not much room in the player to mess around with. I'd also suggest getting a roll of Kapton tape for use as electrical insulation.

Wikipedia link for Archos Jukebox:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Archos_Jukebox_series

Wikipedia link for compact flash:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Compact_flash

eBay link to a seller of a compact flash to 44 pin IDE adapter:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CF-Compact-Flash-2-5-44Pin-Male-laptop-IDE-Adaptor-/110610360705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c0e42981

I apologize for any links to sites that sell something. I only use such links to help describe something and couldn't find a non commercial site like Wikipedia. I have no connection or relation to any sellers or advertisers.