Subject: Re: Installing on Mac-formatted iPod

Re: Installing on Mac-formatted iPod

From: Greg Ward <greg_at_gerg.ca>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 11:30:49 -0500

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 3:54 AM, Uli Armbruster
<uli.armbruster_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> * Greg Ward <greg_at_gerg.ca> [31.12.2010 23:03]:
>> Suggestions?  I.e. is there a way to reformat an iPod Nano to
>> "Windows" format without needing iTunes on Windows?  (I have easy
>> access to multiple Linux boxes and Macs, but not Windows.)
>>

> Well with Linux it's very easy to format a hd with fat32. All you need to run is mkfs.vfat. Look at the manpage or do some research to find out how exactly this has to be used.

Yes, I know it's easy to create a new filesystem. But iPod firmware
is rather picky about the partition table layout: on my 1 GB first-gen
iPod nano, I have to have an empty space of 82 MB followed by a VFAT
partition. The only software that seems to know the precise
requirements is iTunes for Windows. I would like to find a way to
format my 2 GB second-gen iPod nano the same way as iTunes does, but I
don't have a Windows machine.

Failing that, if there is a way to install Rockbox on a "blank slate"
iPod (no partition table, no filesystems), that would work too.

Greg