Subject: More voicing options in Rockbox?

More voicing options in Rockbox?

From: Dane Dunham <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:43:48 -0600

I have been using Rockbox for over a year now and enjoy the extensive
features and voicing options sense I am visually impaired. I wouldn't mind
full text-to-speech functionality in Rockbox, but I understand that most
players probably do not have enough processing power and memory to handle
such a task. I have also come to the understanding that the lack of TTS has
posed some accessibility issues for the visually impaired. Would it be
possible to add a few more strings to the language file to allow reading of
items such as file properties, plugin menus, and the debug menu? If so, is
there a way I could edit the language file in Notepad on my Windows
computer? If this is not possible, could code be added in a future version
to support spelling of these items? Maybe an option for overall spelling by
default when no string is present for the voice in the language file?

Best regards,
Dane Dunham