Subject: Re: More voicing options in Rockbox?

Re: More voicing options in Rockbox?

From: Dane Dunham <>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 13:42:26 -0600

  I was looking at the license for Espeak yesterday, and I'm not sure
exactly what the conflict is. However, would it work to have someone
perhaps make a custom build of Rockbox with Espeak included? Would that
violate the license agreements? The only reason I suggest this is
because having Espeak as a plugin would mean it would only run within
that plugin due to the design of Rockbox. I am not a programmer and
have no idea how to set up a build environment, but I'm sure it could be

There is actually a prototype of Espeak for Rockbox available in the
patches. I would be willing to try it on my Sansa E280, but have no
idea how to compile it.
FS#7660 - Plugin espeak TTS engine for rockbox

I also found patches for improved speech support in general, but as
stated above, I don't know how to compile them.
FS#6323 - Speech for ID3 viewer, playlist catalog and playlist viewer
FS#6324 - Experimental speech/accessibility stuff