Subject: Re: Apple firmware loads automagically

Re: Apple firmware loads automagically

From: Torne Wuff <torne+rockboxusers_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:32:42 +0000

On 24 February 2011 11:44, Al Foders <alfoders_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> THIS is my issue:
> I can not get my iPod to REBOOT either into Apple or Rockbox firmware after unmounting from the USB port.  After the screen times out, if I press any button, the same Apple menu appears.  I can navigate to other menus, but am NOT able to power OFF or REBOOT.
>
> The only way to get back to "normal" is to reinstall the Rockbox bootloader and make certain that I do not connect my iPod to the USB port with the power turned OFF.

As other people have said, hold down menu and select at the same time
for several seconds, and the iPod will reset. There is no actual
poweroff/reboot option in the Apple firmware (it just goes into sleep
mode), you have to hard-reset the player to get out of it.

The exact same logic determines which firmware to boot whether you
whether you power on by pressing a button or by inserting the USB
cable: if the hold switch is turned on, or you are holding down the
menu button, it boots the apple firmware, otherwise it boots Rockbox.
If your player is booting the Apple firmware when you plug the USB
cable in, even though the hold switch is off and you aren't touching
the buttons, then something is broken. The iPod bootloader has never
handled USB cable insertion differently, so it doesn't matter what
version you have.

--
Torne Wuff
torne_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk