Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 66, Issue 13

Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 66, Issue 13

From: Jeff Backus <>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:45:55 -0500

> Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 05:44:56 -0800 (PST)
> From: Al Foders <>
> Subject: Apple firmware loads automagically
> I think have an issue with my iPod Video 32G gen 5.5 using Rockbox 3.7.1.
> ?
> When I connect to the USB port on my PC and mount the drive, if the power
> is turned OFF (irregardless of the position of the lock switch), my iPod
> powers up with the Apple firmware. It will NOT power OFF and I cannot reboot
> the unit to start Rockbox firmware.
> ?
> The only way to get Rockbox to load is to reinstall the bootloader using
> the Rockbox Utility program and manually unmount the drive, at which time my
> iPod powers off and starts Rockbox on its own. After this, all is well with
> my iPod.
> ?
> Is there a setting in Rockbox or Apple firmware which will take care of
> this for me?
> ?
> Al in Orlando
Hi Al,

I believe the problem with regard to powering off is Apple's firmware. I
have 32G video with 3.7.1 on it and my wife has a 160G classic without
Rockbox on it. She has the same problems I have with rebooting the iPod.
We've found that when the iPod won't power down/reboot, if you scroll around
the menu a little and try again the iPod will respond.

When my iPod is powered off and I connect it to my computer, it always boots
up into Apple's firmware. However, if the iPod is on and Rockbox is running
before I connect it to the PC it will continue to use Rockbox for the USB