Subject: how to play these streamed .aac files on my Rockbox sansa Fuze?

how to play these streamed .aac files on my Rockbox sansa Fuze?

From: Jon Nicoll <>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 21:51:23 +0000

Hello all
        I have recently installed Rockbox 3.8 on my Sansa Fuze V1. Looks
great! however...

The reason for doing this is that I want to play 'AAC' audio files downloaded
from the BBC using the 'get_iplayer' streaming download utility. Rockbox does
not seem to want to play these files. I'm sure I'm missing something simple,
probably relating to file formats and containers etc...

Here's an example: I have a .aac file which I've downloaded using get_iplayer
(under Linux) . This uses flvstreamer:

FLVStreamer v2.1c
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
  duration 3960.05
  moovPosition 36.00
  audiocodecid mp4a
  aacaot 2.00
  audiosamplerate 44100.00
  audiochannels 2.00
  ¬©alb blah blah
# ...
  length 174638080.00
  timescale 44100.00
  language und
  sampletype mp4a

I can play this aac file fine in eg. VLC on my linux box. The VLC 'codec
details' page says:

Stream 0
    Type: Audio
    Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample rate: 44100 Hz

I then downloaded it (as an .aac file) to my Fuze. I then saw that I could see
the file only if I set the 'File View' setting to 'All', which might have
given me a clue...

I then tried renaming the file to eg. myfile.mp4. Like this, the Fuze displays
the file (with File View = "all supported"), but will not play it. When I try,
the Fuze goes out of 'play mode' after a couple of seconds.

FWIW the actual first few bytes of the file go like this:

ff f1 50 80 2f 5f fc 21 1a 8f ff ff ff e0 00 ed

I tried putting the original file into an mp4 container using ffmpeg:

    ffmpeg -i myfile.aac -acodec copy -f mp4 myfile.mp4

The resultant output file also plays successfully on VLC, but not on Rockbox.

I suspect I have to either convert or extract the 'actual' file from the
container file that get_iplayer has created, but I'm not sure of the details.
Can anyone give me any pointers? I'm running under Linux in case that's not

    Thanks a lot