Subject: Re: Rockbox 3.8 released! - Strange hard disk access when starting device

Re: Rockbox 3.8 released! - Strange hard disk access when starting device

From: Michael Sparmann <theseven_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 21:48:18 +0100

> I installed it on my Archos Recorder (having used Rockbox 3.7.1 before)
> and with the new version, there now is a hard disk access for about a
> minute every time I start the device.
>
> I didn't read anything in the release notes about this new behaviour and
> I do not see the use or advantage of this. On the other hand, it now
> draws some more battery when starting the device which I don't like.
>
> What is the reason for this behaviour and is there a way to switch this
> new feature (?) off somewhere in the menus?

Sounds like what you are referring to might be dircache?
The advantage of this is that it doesn't need to spin up the drive when
navigating through the file system, because the directory tree is read
to RAM upon boot. So in the end this is meant to conserve power.
If you want to disable it, you can do so in the system settings.