Subject: Re: Recording Your Life With Rockbox

Re: Recording Your Life With Rockbox

From: Ryan Ramage <ryan_at_eckoit.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:05:29 -0600

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> Ryan Ramage wrote:
>> We are getting ready to release our project based which uses Rockbox.
>>
>> http://eckoit.com
>
> Cool idea.
>
> You may want to explain a bit more the differences in result between the "easy" and "hard" conversion. I had to read the patch to find out... :-)

Good point, after a second look, it is not as clear as I thought :)

The hard conversion includes a patch to rockbox (as you found out).
This patch really limits the functionality to recording. It also
reduces menu options outside recording to setting the date and time,
and seeing some of the system info. On exit of those menus, it goes
back to recording.

>> I have been using it for the last 8 months. Its been fun...now I have an
>> amazing medium-long term memory :)
>
> How much recording time do you get from the battery of the clip?

The clip I am using now has been used for the past 8 months, so the
battery is down a bit. I find I can get about 5-6 hrs. Sometimes I
will actually use two clips in rotation, or I will have enough
downtime at a desk during the day for a full charge for the remainder
of the day. So the battery is truly the weak point.

> Just getting a current rockbox version and copy the configs in?
> I normally don't use the automatic installer. I still use the current
> svn builds and copy them over and remove the .rockbox dir before that.

My mail client is not getting this message from Simon, so I had to
patch it in here....
Yes, you can install rockbox however you like. Just copy the config
files as per the instructions.

The config files are for:
- starting in the recording screen
- time spliting the recording every 10 min
- setting a bitrate that will work in the browser
- the .liferecorder file in the root dir is used to detect attachment
by the application