Subject: Re: ipod classic 2g 120G

Re: ipod classic 2g 120G

From: Terry Klarich <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:25:51 -0500

Hello all:

What I've done:
Installed meCORE from (all worked)
downloaded the source for rockbox r29659.
Built rockbox using target 29 following the instructions on the web site. (All went well) I'm using linux.
Installed the new environment on the player as usual.
downloaded the voice file for a nano 2g for that day and installed.
booted the player. (no speech)
with sighted help, checked settings. All looked good (still no speech).
With sighted help, played some mp3's (worked fine).
Began investigating the script to try and build my own voice file.

My question is:
Is there any documentation on the script? A "make voice" command gives me "no such target 'voice'" or something close. I
started looking at the perl code. I'm still not sure what to put in for the -t and -i flags. Not sure what the encoder and tts
options need to look like (-E and -S). I'm using festival as the tts engine. I did see where espeak was supported though. What
should be used as the encoder? speex??? Would building my own voice problem even allow menus to be spoken?

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
Many thanks: