Subject: Problems with Rockbox on ipod classic

Problems with Rockbox on ipod classic

From: Maria Vatapitakapha <xrysoflis_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:17:16 +0100

Hi there

I have an iPod Classic 80GB which I decided to install rockbox on.
I had to use the emcore booter and followed the instructions at
http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/PrepareDFULinux

the installation seemed to have gone well and I could boot into rockbox, use
the wheel to navigate between different options and set the time and date.

However, when I connected it to my mac (running OS X 10.6) it said "the disk
you inserted cannot be recognised" so it was not possible to transfer any
files to it. I have the same problem when connecting to linux ubuntu: the
disk does not seem to be formatted. I tried Ubuntu Disk Utility and GParted
to partition and format the disk. But what happens is that it completely
removes the Rockbox installation so I am back to zero. Is there a way of
formatting the disk from within Rockbox? What other alternatives do I have
to make rockbox work?
I am about to admit defeat and go back to the original iPod firmware...

Thanks

M.