Subject: Re: Problems with Rockbox on ipod classic

Re: Problems with Rockbox on ipod classic

From: Michael Sparmann <theseven_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:29:23 +0200

> However, when I connected it to my mac (running OS X 10.6) it said "the
> disk you inserted cannot be recognised" so it was not possible to
> transfer any files to it. I have the same problem when connecting to
> linux ubuntu: the disk does not seem to be formatted. I tried Ubuntu
> Disk Utility and GParted to partition and format the disk. But what
> happens is that it completely removes the Rockbox installation so I am
> back to zero. Is there a way of formatting the disk from within Rockbox?
> What other alternatives do I have to make rockbox work?
> I am about to admit defeat and go back to the original iPod firmware...

This comes from the fact that the ipod is formatted without partitioning
("superfloppy"), which OSX doesn't seem to like.
On Linux you just need to mount /dev/sdb (or whatever), not /dev/sdb1.

To make it work with your Mac, just partition it and format it as FAT32,
then extract the rockbox zip file to that newly-created partition.