Subject: Reinstalling original firmware and rockbox

Reinstalling original firmware and rockbox

From: T Elcor <telcor_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:01:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have Sansa Fuze v2 with rockbox installed. It was working fine for several months but now it started to shut down for no apparent reason while running OF or rockbox. The solution appears to be to format Fuze's internal flash drive and reinstall OF (and rockbox in my case).

I'm actually on Linux and I have some questions regarding how to proceed with this:

1) Do I have to format the drive with msdos or ext2 will do?
2) Are there any instruction somewhere that may describe the process in more detail?
3) Strangely fdisk shows no partitions on the drive (see below), though there must be at least one partition with files as Fuze actually starts and works for some time before it shuts down.

Thanks

$ fdisk /dev/sdc

Command (m for help): m
Command action
   a toggle a bootable flag
   b edit bsd disklabel
   c toggle the dos compatibility flag
   d delete a partition
   l list known partition types
   m print this menu
   n add a new partition
   o create a new empty DOS partition table
   p print the partition table
   q quit without saving changes
   s create a new empty Sun disklabel
   t change a partition's system id
   u change display/entry units
   v verify the partition table
   w write table to disk and exit
   x extra functionality (experts only)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdc: 7916 MB, 7916748800 bytes
244 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1022 cylinders, total 15462400 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

   Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

Command (m for help):