Subject: Re: problems playing m4a files on Sansa fuze - emulator works OK!

Re: problems playing m4a files on Sansa fuze - emulator works OK!

From: Jon Nicoll <jkn+rb_at_nicorp.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 17:31:09 +0100

Hi Richard
        thanks for your useful comments:
> How long are these files? I've had problems with long files on a
low-memory player (Samsung YH-925), which affected the real machine but ...
The file I've been experimenting with is an hour or so long (50Mb); I was also
looking at two-or three- hour programmes. I haven't recently experimented to
see if shorter times work better.
[...]
> I'm not using the decoding built into get_iplayer however, because it
didn't work at the time I first set it up. So I have set get_iplayer to
emit raw files (.flv) then convert them with

> [examples omitted = thanks]
Thanks for these examples and the script. I will give these a try and report
back.
> As most of the proms recordings are well over the two hours mark (even
through the concerts are shorter than this, with the first and second
halves in separate programs), I wouldn't be surprised if large seek
tables are the problem. This would explain why the emulator works - with
lots of memory available in the host PC, I don't think malloc is
restricted in the same way it is on the actual player target.

That was really where I was coming from - how accurate is the emaulator in
this regard? It might be useful to have it more closely mimic the memory
available for given targets.
I'll give an update when I've tested a bit more.

    Thanks
    Jon N