Subject: RE: ipod photo stalls at apple logo

RE: ipod photo stalls at apple logo

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:34:57 +0000

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:24:24 +0000
From: dave_at_beermex.com
To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se

Wait, all this talk about opening up the ipod seem overblown. If the ipod actually works FINE with the apple firmware (has this been confirmed?) then a failure of dual boot with rockbox is almost certainly a rockbox bug. Anyone disagree?

Greg - there is a page on the wiki listing developers who have / have access to each device that rockbox supports. You may want to try reaching out to them (via IRC) to see if they have any specific advice for the ipod color photo issue.

Even though I said it, opening the iPod /is/ a bit extreme. I one time
had a problem with installing Rockbox on an iPod. It was an old iPod with a broken drive I fixed by swapping the drive with another from an iPod of the same model that had a bad main board. Even though the
 Apple firmware booted fine, the Rockbox would fail. I think what was
happening was the drive partition got messed up somehow and the Apple
firmware was booting off of the good part of the drive. Every time I
tried to install Rockbox, the Rockbox installation kept trying to put
itself on the bad part of the drive. A full restore from iTunes didn't
work for me, I might have had a drive with a bad cluster. After removing
the drive and blanking it, it forced iTunes to do a long, full format of
 the drive. This full format instead of a quick format, I believe,
caused the iTunes software to find the bad sector and mark it as such. I
 just tried to give my best guess to all of the options from least
intrusive to most intrusive in an attempt to fix any drive problem. I
don't think the Rockbox software is at fault because it seems to work
very well for me, and the iPod seems to be working quite well because
the Apple firmware works pretty good. The only thing left for me to
guess is bad is the formatting of the iPod drive. Maybe it's a simple
partition table that got messed up, or it's one bad cluster that keeps
sneaking in.