Subject: RE: upgrading my iPod video

RE: upgrading my iPod video

From: Jammit Timmaj <jammit999_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:49:01 +0000

From: GlennErvin_at_cableone.net
To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:55:08 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Jammit
Timmaj
To: Rockbox
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 5:20 PM

It sounds to me as if when you plug the iPod
into your computer, the iPod is rebooting into Rockbox. Try unplugging the iPod,
rebooting it into Apple firmware, lock the iPod keypad with the hold switch,
then plug it back into the computer. Rockbox defaults to an external HD and an
external keyboard thing (like mouse, media control, web browser controller) when
it's plugged into a computer.
Make sure the iPod is in Apple firmware and the
hold switch is set to hold before it's plugged into a computer.

*
Hi Jammit,
It seems that I cannot boot into the Apple
firmware.
The hold button is the six o'clock position isn't
it?
And the select is the center button, and the menu is the
12 o'clock position?
But it keeps booting into Rockbox.
Glenn

> From: GlennErvin_at_cableone.net
> To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
> Subject:
upgrading my iPod video
> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:04:48 -0600
>

> Hi,
> This iPod with RockBox, is behaving strangely, and I hope
someone can help.
> I wish to update the iPod's Apple firmware via iTunes,
but it keeps telling
> me that it cannot because some files are in use by
another program, and I
> don't know if my screenreader is referring to a
window I have open, or if it
> is referring to RButils. But I don't have
RButils running.
> This is with windows XP and iTunes that has prompted me
for an upgrade, but
> the current version of iTunes is only about a few
weeks old.
> Also, when I boot up to the iPod's Apple firmware, the volume
control on the
> iPod is adjusting the volume on my laptop, like a wired
remote, so when I
> scroll around on the touch wheel, the computer volume
goes up and down.
> And also, incorrectly, the drive opens up like it
should if RockBox is
> loaded, but actually when I am booting to the
Apple firmware.
> I thought that if I could get the iPod Video original
boot loader installed,
> and delete or rename the RockBox boot loader, I
might be able to update the
> Apple boot loader in iTunes.
> I took
a look at the iPodPatcher file, and thought that this looks helpful,

but I am uncertain of using it.
> I read that I will use it in a
command-line shell, which I am comfortable
> with.
> But if I could
get some help with updating the Apple iPod boot loader, and
> then I will
try again to run the RButil for upgrading the Rockbox.
> Thanks.

Glenn

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GeneralFAQ
http://www.rockbox.org/mail/etiquette.html

FAQ:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GeneralFAQ
Etiquette:
http://www.rockbox.org/mail/etiquette.html

If you're still having any problems, let us know.
Also, watch the top posting when replying to the thread. I've been burned a few times when I've accidentally top posted.