Subject: Re: trouble generating voice files

Re: trouble generating voice files

From: Magnus Holmgren <magnushol_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:07:45 +0100

On 2011-12-04 01:11, Erin Chaves wrote:

> Well, you're not alone, Glen. I'm also having problems creating voice files with
> the RB Utility. I'm working with a Sansa Clip+. I test the TTS, and it works,
> but the file generation fails. I'm running WinXP and I'm using the latest
> version of the RB Utility and different builds of RB. I know how to configure
> the TTS engine. I have experimented with a couple of settings and have tried TTS
> by Scansoft and Voiceware. The only TTS I can get to work is the Microsoft SAPI
> voices (Microsoft Sam). I'm not a programmer, but I could follow directions if
> someone told me what might be happening. This PC has an Intel Core duo 2.8GHZ
> Processor. I do have an old netbook running a 1.6 Intel Atom processor, and I
> also receive failures with it, but sometimes the files are successfully created.

I tried creating a voice file with RockboxUtility (version 1.2.11), and it
failed for me too. Twice it failed in the encoding phase, with an error like this:

[RbSpeex] Encoding "<Temp path>/rbvoice//LANG_UNKNOWN.wav" to "<Temp
path>//LANG_UNKNOWN.mp3"
[RbSpeex] Error: could not open input file

The file varies, and in another run, the error occurred on a later file. A third
run caused RockboxUtility to crash... After a couple of tries, I did manage to
create a voice file. It is very unstable though. Maybe some mutlithreading issue
in the encoding (I'm not familiar with the RockboxUtility code, nor Qt)?

--
   Magnus