Subject: Re: Video encoding for Rockbox on a mac

Re: Video encoding for Rockbox on a mac

From: R.L. Horn <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 02:38:46 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Jacob Mansfield wrote:

> the question was more a case of what settings, codecs and containers to
> use, rather than what to create it with

It's been quite a while since I fooled around with video under rockbox
so my information might be out of date, but it was pretty straightforward:

   video: MPEG1/2
   audio: MPEG1 layer II/III (e.g. mp3)
   container: MPEG-PS (or basic video stream)

...scaled to fit your screen. Rockbox appears to be pretty easygoing
about mux and video settings, though I certainly wouldn't go out of my way
to optimize quality for a screen the size of a postage stamp.

For example, the following (using ffmpeg 0.7.8) seems to work, for short
clips at least:

   ffmpeg -i [input video] -vf scale=[X]:[Y] \
     -vcodec mpeg2video -vb [video bitrate] \
     -acodec libmp3lame -ab [audio bitrate] \
     [output video].mpg