Subject: Re: follow up on updating firmware

Re: follow up on updating firmware

From: William Porteous <>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:16:53 -0700

>Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I was refering to both the sansa fuze
firmware and the rock box firmware. If I first update the v1 >sandisk
firmware will it remove rockbox and all its settings? and if it does, could
I get everything by saving rockbox on my desktop >and just copying it back
in to the fuze after updating the fuze firmware.
> i read that the newer sansa firmware causes unpopular changes to the
player like limiting the volume. What changes does this >firmware make?
>Also, I was experimenting and trying to delete rockbox and the bootloader
to then try and re-install it. I was able to remove the >version of rockbox
I had, but when I tried to remove the bootloader using the auto method, I
got the message, "no uninstall known". >Would it be necessary to update the
sansa firmware to remove the bootloader?. I did read the manual many times
but found no >specific info on doing this. Sorry I'm asking so many
questions that may seem unrelated but I just want to figure out how to do
all >of this. Thanks again fore creating rockbox and all you guys do.
>Best regards. Joe.

when you deleted rockbox you probably deleted a file rockboxutility uses
for identifying an installation. if you want to remove the bootloader, just
copy an unmodified original firmware file to the root directory of your

as to whether a firmware update removes rockbox, no, it only removes the
bootloader, and nothing else.

i don't know about any details on the fuze firmware,however, the sandisk
website and/or forums would be a good place to check.