Subject: Re: Crosscompile & install Rockbox on FreeBSD

Re: Crosscompile & install Rockbox on FreeBSD

From: Borodin Oleg <ziggi_at_yandex.ru>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:32:20 +0300

On 17.05.2012 00:30, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> I will, thanks. I just wanted to point out that tools/rockboxdev.sh is
> our official way to build the crosscompiler, and doing things
> differently may well result in getting a toolchain that doesn't work or
> has subtle issues.
>
> While of course people are free to use whatever toolchain they like,
> encouraging people who don't know better to do things differently from
> the official instructions can result in confusion and support issues.

I described in little article step-by-step example of some classic
technique cross-compilation and building application, which is
implemented one-to-one in the universal script rockboxdev.sh.

In addition, I provided standard ports/package arm-binutils and arm-gcc
for OS freebsd (people can use as template for other target boards),
with version of utils & patches from the rockbox project.

The goal and result of cross-compilation - the running application on
target device with devel package in freebsd operational system and (!)
some understanding of assembly methodology.
It may help attract some people to develop and test the code project.

Who am I misled? :)
Maybe I do not understand something.

Oleg.