Subject: Help for blind/vision-impaired users

Help for blind/vision-impaired users

From: Laz Mesa <lazaro6_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 19:41:55 -0400

I've been on this list for a while now and have observed that although
the help is forthcoming, there appears to be some sort of differences
in viewpoint, perspective, or understanding between the sighted person
providing the help and the blind or vision-impaired individual asking
the questions. It appears that the developers and others who do
answer questions on this list, sometimes lack either the viewpoint,
perspective, or understanding that another person who is blind would
have when answering a question from a blind or vision-impaired user.
This affects how well the blind person is able to follow the
directions and thereby achieve the expected results on their Rockboxed
player.

Also there is the fact that many blind lists are set up for top
posting, while this list is set up for bottom posting and apparently
this is not remembered by most blind or vision-impaired individuals
very well, and there doesn't seem to be a very high tolerance level
when anyone top post to the list. The fact is, this list seems to be
mainly designed for sighted users who have no trouble finding the
answer at the bottom of the post without having to listen to a screen
reader read everything else in the message before reaching the answer.
 Yes, this is the reason blind users usually top post. It's not
because they want to break the rules, it's just that it's what they're
used to doing, and top posting is far more efficient for those who
have to use a screen reader to get through email messages.

There is a list set up for users of Rockboxed Sansa MP3 players on
which questions are asked and answered from the perspective of a
blind/vision-impaired person and where top posting is the preferred
posting method, as it is on most blind lists.

I would like to offer this alternative mailing list to any blind or
vision-impaired individuals who have questions about using Rockbox
with their players, using VoiceBox, or using the Rockbox Utility. If
you are a blind or vision-impaired individual and wish to find out
about this list, please contact me at lazaro6_at_gmail.com and I'll
provide you with the subscription information. The list is not for
developer type questions though, so if you're interested in the in and
outs of programming and developing Rockbox, then this wouldn't be the
list for you. It's meant for those who have questions about using
their player as a blind/vision-impaired user, voicing the menus,
creating talk files, etc. I'm a blind individual and have used
Rockbox on most models of Sansa MP3 players, have used VoiceBox, and
am familiar with using the Rockbox Utility. I have set up players
manually and with the use of the Rockbox Utility. I am in no way as
knowledgeable as any of the Rockbox developers, nor could I replace
them in any way except as I've stated above in regards to helping
answer questions from a blind perspective from blind or
vision-impaired individuals.

Regards,

Laz