Subject: RE: Help for blind/vision-impaired users

RE: Help for blind/vision-impaired users

From: Ross Doerr <rumpole_at_roadrunner.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:40:11 -0400

You wrote:
\There is a list set up for users of Rockboxed Sansa MP3 players on which
questions are asked and answered from the perspective of a
blind/vision-impaired person and where top posting is the preferred posting
method, as it is on most blind lists.
**

Hello Laz:
I must disagree with you on one point. I've been blind for several decades
and have been using web/email etc to do my job for more than 20 years. I'm
an attorney who practices law in two states, and who deals with state and
federal court systems, federal agencies and law offices all over the United
States. My professional clients span the spectrum of job types.
Without exception, I have not had one bit of trouble, nor did I even knnow
what top posting was, to lists until I logged onto this one to post a
compliment to the developers. I was curtly told to stop top posting, and
directed to the list rules and told to read them before posting again. I had
to ask what top posting was.
I need to add that my email use spanning 20 years is to professional lists
and offices and only rarely to predominantly "blind lists". My point here is
that blind users are not very different from sighted users.
If you folks want over-written drivel and drool, get on to some legal lists.
What goes on in this list is pretty darn pale by comparison.
I don't have any trouble following someone's rules. Having stated this, I
would go on to add that there is no better way to generate hard feelings
than to criticize and publically disciplin someone for the manner they used
to pay you a compliment. This is the very definition of "form over
substance".
 I have represented software engineers, developers and related businesses
on numerous ocasions over the years and know that "they" are just as
insistant upon rules as "we" are. By that I refer to lawyers. Folks,
lawyers get more jokes and criticism leveled against us than software
developer engineering types do. We've been around since the days of ancient
Rome, and nobody has, to the best of my knowledge, ever said: "First, hang
all the software engineers".
What we have been experiencing here, in my view, is two very different
groups of individuals meeting head-on.
If we want tolerance, we need to be demonstrating it.
I could go on, but this isn't a cultural list, it's a software list.
And, by the way, I really do like Rockbox. I used it to listen to the FM
radio on my MP3 player at the Red Sox game while I was at Fenway Park on
Memorial day with my wife and son. We trounced the Detroit Tigers 7 to 4,
and beat them again last night.

I would like to offer this alternative mailing list to any blind or
vision-impaired individuals who have