Subject: Re: Help for blind/vision-impaired users

Re: Help for blind/vision-impaired users

From: Christopher Chaltain <chaltain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 14:11:55 -0500

On 29/05/12 19:50, Rocker wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------------------**I
> for one am not that incompetent that I need to top post because I'm
> blind. I am well versed with the screen readers I use and don't expect
> anything but to follow the list rules.

I too am blind, and I feel the same way.

> I also don't like leading posts that seem to be made just to draw in
> buyers of refurbished Saunsa players with RB installed under the guise
> of supporting the blind community! Freaking BS!

I didn't read this nefarious motive into Laz's post at all. As Laz said,
blind RB users have their own perspective, and I think we can do a lot
to help each other, whether on this list or another. I didn't see
anything but this in Laz's post, and I can't help but wonder if you're
bringing something more than just Laz's post and his mailing list into
this thread.

> Having said this, it's not just the blind RB user that has been killed
> by the list Nazis'!
> yall know who you are don't ya!
> This used to be a fun and friendly list for everyone. The Dev's list
> was specifically set up to deal with Dev questions but still, The Jack
> boots are stomping if some unsuspecting user wants to post a question or
> comment and doesn't follow some virtual idiots views!
> Don't worry, I'm sure I'll be slayed for this post and that's ok baby
> since I have been around RB before any of you list Nazis and I can take it!

I don't think that's what makes this list so unfriendly. IMHO, it's the
people who once they know about the rules choose to ignore them or argue
about them. I don't find the list rules that hard to deal with and more
of the lists I now participate on follow similar rules. If you can't be
bothered to follow the rules then you shouldn't be participating on the
list. The list moderators should be able to point the rules out to new
users, who may not know about the rules yet, and not start a flame war
every time they do it.

The intolerance isn't with the people who want the list rules followed,
it's with the list members who somehow feel insulted when they're
reminded there are list rules to follow or who feel that having list
rules at all is somehow violating their inalienable rights to post
whatever they want however they want. I think the list would be a
friendlier and more open place if people would just follow the list
rules either to begin with or after they've been pointed out to them.

> Perhaps instead of marginalizing Blind users, or any users for that
> matter, hand list moderation over to me....rocker... and I'll happily
> restore the open, friendly and inclusive environment that this list
> serve used to be! For everyone! Not just the Blind

First, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own list with
your own list rules and moderating style. Like I said, I don't see
anything wrong with the moderation or rules of this list. I know I don't
enjoy lists where there is no moderation. I join a list because I want a
certain topic discussed, so I resent it when off topic posts are allowed
to run rampant. I like subject lines changed when the thread changes
topics. I don't like flame wars or offensive posts. If you're
alternative is anarchy then I don't think that will make for a better list.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail