Subject: Re: Creating .talk files from the comamnd line? [SOLVED]

Re: Creating .talk files from the comamnd line? [SOLVED]

From: Bob Proulx <bob_at_proulx.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 02:20:11 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Is is possible to create .talk files from the command line?

Yes it is.

> http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/VoiceHowto

This mentions the rbspeexenc utility. I didn't see that earlier.
Download the rockbox source code as described elswhere in the wiki.
Then build the rbspeexenc utility. Move the executable into your
$PATH. Then using rbspeexenc talk files can be created from wav
files.

  espeak -w /tmp/test.wav "Some title to be voiced"
  rbspeexenc /tmp/test.wav /tmp/test.talk

To automate the building of talk files over a directory the howto
mentions a "talk.gz" link. I downloaded that link finding it to be a
Ruby program that interacts with a Mary TTS web service. I already
have Ruby installed so this worked directly for me.

I didn't want to set up Mary server (although the voices are extremely
nice) and was happy with espeak (or festival) voices. Therefore I
hacked the script to create wav files with espeak instead of using the
web service. I also commented out the languages which I did not thave
installed. But the important edit was this one to make it use espeak.

  -system "curl #{curlParam} <#{$tempfileIn} && rbspeexenc #{$tempfileWav} #{$tempfileTalk}"
  +system "espeak -w #{$tempfileWav} <#{$tempfileIn} && rbspeexenc #{$tempfileWav} #{$tempfileTalk}"

The program name "talk" is also too generic. I renamed it to be
"rockbox-talk". And with that I can now generate talk files
automatically. I can run "rockbox-talk /some/directory" and the
entire set of talk files are generated. This worked great on my Sansa
Clip+. Yay! Rockbox rocks!

Bob