Subject: RE: Ipod classic boot issues

RE: Ipod classic boot issues

From: Jammit Timmaj <>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 01:45:23 +0000

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:07:59 -0800

I wound up sifting through some old archived logs and found a convo that led me to the file indexes. I downloaded the installer-ipodclassic.ubi file and it reformatted and everything so that's a step forward. Now I plug it into the computer it says I have to reformat the hard-drive before I can use it, the options it gives me are NTFS and exFat. What do I format the allocation unit size to? Quick format or no?
Thanks again! Happy Oktober!

-----extra snipped----
The Apple iTunes program running under Windows will reformat it to the proper fat32. Windows XP no longer will format a drive larger than 32 gigabytes. The iTunes program will. If you really want to manually format something larger as fat32, try this from Ridgecrop:

Simply formatting an iPod as fat32 won't work (it's called an iPod restore. iTunes should automatically pop up a window asking you to restore. If iTunes doesn't pop up the option, you can select "restore iPod"). You have to use the iTunes program found here: