Subject: Re: Sansa Clip Zip

Re: Sansa Clip Zip

From: S Smith <d29bear446_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 19:37:52 -0500

I agree. I would have turned right around and taken my Sansa Clip Zip back
if I had not found Rockbox. That Sansa UI is the most brain-dead interface
I've seen. I'd call it MP3 for Dummies, but that insults dummies! ;)

First, as said elsewhere, the official word is at rockbox.org. That being
said, I have a 4 GB Clip Zip with a 32 GB add-on SD card (which I can't get
to work with the Sansa UI). I don't use all the Rockbox features, nor am I
interested in many of them. However, it sure does the following:

   - It plays MP3s. Right there, that ought to be enough. <wink> And I have
   upwards of 500 CDs loaded on mine.

   - I have it set to bookmark when I stop, so I can continue later. Great
   for audiobooks and netcasts.
   - I don't bother with playlists, I don't bother with the database - I'm
   from the days of vinyl; I listen to albums.
   - The radio works fine, the radio preset lists work fine.
   - The UI themes work fine.
   - Sound adjustments work, speed adjustments work.

Using the Windows Rockbox installer, it took me not more than ten minutes
to get it loaded and kicking back. I can't see every getting another MP3
player and *not *loading Rockbox on it.
Finally, I just checked the web again. The rockbox.org wiki says:

> The Sansa Clip Zip works fine for day-to-day audio playback. Stuff that
> still needs work (as of 2012-06-20):
>
> - user manual (needs at least all the screenshots, can be made in the
> simulator).
>
> Plugins that need work:
>
> - sudoku: create graphics for numbers and fix layout
>
> Sudoku doesn't work? Really? 1.25 inch screen. A person would need a
microscope to play sudoku on it! :)

Enjoy your Clip Zip with Rockbox!
(Packing for a weekend roadtrip with mine!)