Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: query

Re: query

From: Steph MM _at_ yahoo <seumeumeuh_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:55:45 +0000 (GMT)

 To: "Shiner" <dodgy-curry_at_ntlworld.com>, "Rockbox" <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
 Date: Sunday, 26 January, 2014, 14:03

 thx, but none of these, if they are
 still available new at all, has bluethooth.... I am afraid.
 wolfram
 Am 26.01.2014 14:29, schrieb Shiner:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Wolfram
 Schönfelder" <Wolfram.Schoenfelder_at_hs-augsburg.de>

 the right person to write to with my query or whether I
 registered correctly in this mailing list to post my query.
 So if I am wrongly here, sorry for the inconvenience, but
 perhaps u might show me where I could post then?

>> I am thinking of buying an Ipod Nano 7th
 generation, but only if I can successfully use your rockbox
 software on it (I hate itunes and other apple proprietrary
 gimmicks). I once had a first generation ipod classic and
 someone sucessfully installed rockbox on it for my use,
 which was great, till the device died on me.
>> I must add, that I am not very computer savy, I can
 follow simple instructions, but probably would be lost when
 it comes to debugging something. My intended use of the iPod
 would only be along the line of a music player (no pics, no
 video) mostly via blue tooth (when jogging, flying, or any
 outdoor activity). and for this I would like to use MY
 system of playlists, prefereable via drop and drag from my
 existing lists as simple file organisation from my PC/tablet
 etc. under Windows....
>> If you could help me, pass this on to someone who
 can, or show the way in any other form, this would be much
 appreciated.
>> Have a nice day wherever you are
>

> It doesn't look like it:
> http://www.rockbox.org/
>
> Why Apple?
> Buy a player that Rockbox is known to be stable on, see
 list above.

> Rog

Bluetooth matters to you and you have an android phone, try rockbox as an app AND check your bluetooth earphone is not "phone calls only"
http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/

Many phones will run it successfully as mine do = Galaxy S 1st gen, Motorola Defy 1st gen and many others I tested (owned by friends, sorry I can't remeber which)

BUT some won't as some I tested. Many times it only seemed to be a display problem = rockbox running but impossible to use with tiny unreadable screen. Hopefully more screen resolution being available, rockbox will run on more phones.

Rockbox as an app is not stable but still very usable. My advice is to create a list of shortcuts including AT LEAST "SHUTDOWN" to make sure you can easily and definitely shut the app when you don't use it and want to save battery life

As for bluetooth earphone bear in mind some "phone call/hands free" bluetooth may not work with a music app (not only rockbox, any app including android native media app). I have this problem with my Samsung SBH650, shame as it would allow me to connect many of my "cable" earphones.