Subject: Re: copyright notices

Re: copyright notices

From: KÚvin FERRARE <kevin.ferrare.ml_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2005-10-29

Ok, and what if I merged the content of 2 files in one new ?
which author should I put on the header ?
What does the copyright refers to ? the file or the content ?
What if I created a new file with some code from other files and some
of my code in it ?

I asked several times on the IRC channel, and I was told do do like
that, I don't intend to steal the property of rockbox code

Also, I can obviously remove my name, but I think it would be more
fair and more convenient to have a list of authors for a file like I
saw in several others open source projetcs

example in the linux kernel for a file taken randomly
/*
 * $Id: bttv.h,v 1.22 2005/07/28 18:41:21 mchehab Exp $
 *
 * bttv - Bt848 frame grabber driver
 *
 * card ID's and external interfaces of the bttv driver
 * basically stuff needed by other drivers (i2c, lirc, ...)
 * and is supported not to change much over time.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1996,97 Ralph Metzler (rjkm@thp.uni-koeln.de)
 * (c) 1999,2000 Gerd Knorr <kraxel@goldbach.in-berlin.de>
 *