Subject: RE: len0x: apps settings.c,1.310,1.311

RE: len0x: apps settings.c,1.310,1.311

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: 2005-11-04

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Anton Oleynikov wrote:

> I see that you're not working in the software industry.

You see that? Wow. How perceptive of you.

> But if we start discussing things like: what should be default behaviour,
> how should we phrase it, what icon should we use etc. - then I think we
> should leave it to the end user because we're doing it for him...

Then we simply disagree on this. Besides, knowing what "users" want is not
very easy and I just cannot imagine a system where we decide on things based
on some kind of guess what users want.

No. We are developers, we discuss things, we decide things. We are users too.

> In the end - we're having a dicussion now and its not really a big deal to
> rollback the change (and I will have no problem with that). But there has to
> be a good reason for that

I'm not saying everything must be debated and argued to death before something
is committed. I was just so very surprised to see this commit as we've had
this feature for AGES like this. Then you have CVS commit access only a few
days and then you commit this.

This alerted me and thus we have this conversation.

> But I just wanted to know if we can do things that not everyone agrees with.
> The total number of developers is quite high, so always there bound to be
> someone who doesn't agree. What do we do then?

One way could be to attempt to discuss the matter first. To figure out the
background and to understand the whole picture.