Subject: Re: Bad Recorded MP3s - may not be (solely) a DAC issue

Re: Bad Recorded MP3s - may not be (solely) a DAC issue

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <>
Date: 2005-11-05

Bluechip wrote:
> 1. Why does RB append a blank 4K ID3v2 header to the start of every file?

It's there for convenience, so that the file can be updated with a valid
tag without rewriting the entire file.

> 2. Each ID3v2 tag is followed by 212 (0xD4) 0's ...which afaict serve no
> purpose.
> Is this a bug, or is there something I don't know?

If there are 212 0's between the tag and the Xing header, then it's a bug.

> 3. There is next a corrupt Xing (VBRI) header containing the text
> "Rockbox - rocks your box"
> Again, is this helpful? Why not put the text in the tag? I presume
> VBRFix will blat out the comment when you try to make the file useable.

It's a Xing header, not VBRI. What makes you think the tag is corrupt?
It just lacks the TOC, which is perfectly valid. The text is there for
the fun of it and nothing else.

> It strikes me that this is most likely a bug in the time-split feature,

Hmmm. Which version of Rockbox were these files recorded with?