Subject: RE: WPS BMP loadig change coming up

RE: WPS BMP loadig change coming up

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:46:56 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Tony Lenox wrote:

>> I'm not sure it helps much either since when people upgrade they very often
>> wipe their .rockbox dir and thus they'd wipe their "default.wps" file
>> too...
>
> yes, but the idea is to have default one in the official build...

Again, I don't think we need to have multiple fixes to solve the same
underlying problem: that the config is stored as binary in the config sector.

If we only switch to having most configs in a plain text-based .cfg file (as
we've planned for years) I don't that there is a problem we need to fix.

> Actually I was thinking a little bit more about this. CFG files are indeed
> more suitable for packaging WPS because its not only WPS file name that we
> need but also font name and may be status bar setting (as well as this would
> solve RWPS problem).

I fully agree. I'm hoping my upcoming script will be able to gerenate a .cfg
file for each .wps file, as a start to a better "theme" approach.

> So the idea is to call this CFG file a "theme" and store it in a special dir
> (may be in WPS folder) so that user can quickly load it. There can be a
> default.theme file that gets loaded on first run or when settings are reset.

Again, I don't think this is the correct fix for the reset problem.