Subject: Re: Simplified and uniform volume handling - asking for opinions

Re: Simplified and uniform volume handling - asking for opinions

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:32:04 +0100

On 06.12.2005, Anton Oleynikov wrote:

> While I like uniform approach to sound volume - not sure I
> understand what is going to happen
> with limiting volume/bass now (for iRiver for instance)? IMHO
> there should always be at least two options:
> - no volume/bass scaling whatsoever (as an example you have
> very low level audio file)
> - bass scaling during high volumes (which was never an option
> before I committed it)

It does not happen at all with my current patch, but can be
added - see my reply to [IDC]Dragon.

> The whole point of me doing first patch was that second
> option. It was extensively discussed in the forum and now that
> seem to be eliminated, right? How come?

I don't follow forum discussions very closely closely, they are
scattered too much among questions etc for my taste.

As far as I gathered from various places, the main complaint was
not that we don't scale back bass & treble, but that we *do*
scale back volume (in order to prevent clipping) and that this
behaviour limits volume too much.

My patch removes clipping prevention altogether (like we had it
on Archos Recorders & Ondios for years, btw).

Regards, Jens