Subject: Re: Simplified and uniform volume handling - asking for opinions

Re: Simplified and uniform volume handling - asking for opinions

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:55:23 +0100

Christi Alice Scarborough wrote:
> I do believe that there is value in an option that prevents clipping,
> particularly if it can be implemented in a platform independent way.

Personally I find the whole idea of clipping prevention somewhat odd, very much "protecting the user from himself" which really isn't Rockbox' style.

I don't think I've ever seen any audio playback equipment of any kind offer clipping prevention. Can someone give me a few examples of equipment that does this? (My old NAD amplifier has "soft clipping", but that's not the same thing. It doesn't prevent distorsion, just smoothes it a bit.)

If there's ONE thing users know about audio equipment it is that if you crank the volume up too loud, the sound will get distorted. Every radio, amplifier, cd-player and walkman since 1930 has worked this way, why are we so keen on "protecting" the user from this now? I think the only thing we'll get is user frustration because Rockbox won't let them crank the volume up as loud as they want to.

--
Björn