Subject: Re: MPeye HTS-150

Re: MPeye HTS-150

From: Tim Schmidt <timschmidt_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2005-12-13

> How is the firmware upgrade procedure? You put the new firmware somewhere on
> the device and you use the original firmware to flash that?

Firmware upgrade procedure:

- connect device to USB port (device will begin charging battery)
- press the select button to initiate USB storage mode (the computer
will notice the new drive and mount / designate a drive letter for it)
- copy firmware file to CONFIG folder on device (drive is formatted FAT32)
- unmount / safely remove device (device will automatically power off
when usb cable is unplugged)
- power on device (it notices the new firmware and performs the upgrade)

Based on the time that passes (a few seconds) between seeing the
backlight come on when powering on the device (the first outward
indication that the device noticed the power button being pressed) and
the firmware flashing screen I'd say that either the device's
bootloader is responsible for performing the upgrade (after
checksumming or de-crypting the file -- something that takes a few
seconds on a 140Mhz processor) or it boots and the previous firmware
does the flashing... Basically I'll need to hook up to a JTAG port or
something similar to tell...

--tim