Subject: Re: Iriver iFP port

Re: Iriver iFP port

From: Tomasz Malesinski <tmal_at_mimuw.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:18:49 +0100

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:39:38PM +0100, Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> Do you plan on using the EPIC core for DSP stuff? If not, do you think
> we can manage without it?

I tried playing an Ogg Vorbis song using the original firmware in my
emulator. Some data appeared in a place that looked like an audio
output buffer, but when I tried to play them there was only noise. I
have not yet analysed the codec yet (it is the Tremor decoder, a
little old and/or modified version). There may be a bug in my emulator
which causes errors in decoding, but it is also possible that the main
CPU does not decode the data entirely, for example it is the EPIC core
that does DCT and the data that I intercepted was not fully
decoded. Anyway, I have not seen anything that looked like a DSP code
upload (the emulator logs all accesses to unknown hardware), so
hopefully the EPIC core has its own code stored in a different place
than the main firmware. If this is really the case then we could use
it for decoding (and probably even encoding), accessing it just like
the original firmware.

--
Tomek Malesinski