Subject: Re: bmp support in the build system

Re: bmp support in the build system

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:08:50 +0100

Dave Chapman wrote:
> I've been working on adding support for the use of bmp files directly in
> the Rockbox source - i.e. putting .bmp files in CVS instead of including
> bitmaps in .c files.
>
> An initial work-in-progress patch is here:
>
> http://www.davechapman.f2s.com/rockbox/buildbmp.diff
> http://www.davechapman.f2s.com/rockbox/bitmaps.zip

Looks great! We've been needing this for a while now.

> The configure script has been modified to create a BMP2RB variable
> containing the bmp2rb command for native bitmaps for that target - e.g.
> "$(toolsdir)/bmp2rb -f 2" for iriver h1x0.

Perhaps it should be two BMP2RB variables, one for the main LCD and one
for the remote?

BTW, I don't see the need for the #ifdef in misc.c for the
rockboxmonologo. Why isn't rockboxlogo in the native monochrome format
instead?

> 1) Each target uses multiple bitmaps formats - potentially we could have
> three different formats - mono, native (main unit), and native (remote).
> These could potentially requre different parameters passed to bmp2rb.c
>
> In the current patch, this has been resolved by adding a "-m" option to
> bmp2rb. For non-mono targets, this causes bmp2rb to ignore the -f
> option and output a "-f 0" bitmap if the input bitmap has depth 1.

This could probably be solved by using two BMP2RB variables in the
config script.

> Any comments/suggestions welcome.

I like it!

Linus